It's officially the new year, and for many of us, that means resolutions, healthier life choices, and a new diet. It can be tough to find diet-friendly menu options while eating out, and for us, there's nothing worse than being cooped up at home. With that in mind, we've listed some healthier menu options at a few of our favorite restaurants around town. Here's to a healthy, happy 2018!
Though many of us might associate French fare with butter in every dish and garlic galore, there are plenty of healthier options, too. Café Boulud has a number of menu choices that are on the lighter side. Here are a just a few to get you started.
Lunch: (asterisk* denotes a Prix Fixe menu option):
Gazpacho*: A cold soup with six main ingredients (tomatoes, olive oil, cucumbers, red bell peppers, onions and garlic), gazpacho has tons of health benefits. It is delicious and refreshing, and packed with vitamins and nutrients. In a recent study published in the professional journal Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases, some the health benefits of eating gazpacho include improved blood pressure levels, a carotene boost, and plenty of antioxidants to help you stay fit and healthy.
Beets & Endive Salad*: Even if you don't like beets, you likely know that they are good for you. Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium, which is essential for healthy nerve and muscle function. They are also loaded with manganese, which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas. Endives are rich in B vitamins, and grapefruit has plenty of vitamin C to boost your immune system.
Wood Roasted Chicken*: Chicken is a lean protein that helps to build muscle, which is important if you're not only dieting, but working out too. Roasting a chicken is one of the healthiest, and most delicious, ways to enjoy chicken. At Café Boulud this dish comes with frisee (finely chopped endive salad) and roasted fingerling potatoes. If you're being hyper conscious of carbohydrates or saturated fats, perhaps consider asking the server to substitute sliced tomatoes for the potatoes instead.
Pan Seared Scallops: A member of the shellfish family, scallops are more than 80 percent protein! If you're on a high protein, low fat and no carb diet, this is the menu option for you. Served with brussels sprouts and a miso jus, this dish is likely to be approved by most dietitians - especially if you ask for the jus on the side.
Organic King Salmon: Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, a great lean source of protein, high in vitamin B, antioxidants, potassium and selenium, salmon is often considered one of the most diet friendly foods available.
Buccan is a Palm Beach Social Diary favorite. This Palm Beach fusion restaurant is only open for dinner, and has plenty of diet-friendly menu options to choose from! Bonus, as they share a wall with their sister restaurant, Imoto, staff usually allow you to order off the sushi menu, meaning there is an array of healthy raw fish options to choose from if you don't spot something you fancy on the Buccan menu.
Baby Kale Salad: Loaded with fiber and sulfur, baby kale aids with digestion and liver health. It is also an excellent source of vitamin C, contains hydrates that your body need, increases your metabolism (hello!), and contributes to healthy blood sugar levels. At Buccan, this salad is served with parmesan cheese, pine nuts (which can reduce heart disease while boosting energy levels), vitamin C and antioxidant rich black currants, and a lemon vinaigrette. Yum!
Hamachi Tiradito: This Latin inspired raw fish dish boasts plenty of health benefits. Yellowtail (Hamachi), like most fish, is loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids, as well as many additional nutrients, including vitamins A and D, calcium and protein. This dish is served with Peruvian chilies are high in antioxidants and flavonoids including beta carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin. are amazingly high in vitamin C. Also on the plate you will find lotus root (which has unique mix of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients), mojo onions (a great source of vitamin C and B6, iron, folate, and potassium), and a yuzu vinaigrette.
Oysters: Oysters are one of our all time top choices for a low calorie diet. Though high in cholesterol, oysters deliver 16 grams of protein in every 6-ounce serving, are rich in vitamins C and B-12; and are loaded with zinc, selenium, and iron. If you're a horseradish fan, double up on an extra scoop or two in your cocktail sauce! Loaded with health benefits, horseradish can help prevent cancer, is an antioxidant as well as an antimicrobial and antibacterial, it reduces symptoms of respiratory illness, is a known digestive aid, anti-inflamitant, and pain reliever.
Octopus Tabbouleh: A play on the Mediterranean herbed dish, Buccan's light Octobus Tabbouleh is loaded with chickpeas, fresno chili, parley and fresh mint. Some fun facts about why this dish is on our list: A 3-ounce serving of octopus has less than 150 calories and more than 25 grams of protein! Chickpeas are a major source of protein that also helps to control blood sugar levels, help with weight loss, protects against heart disease, and improves digestive health. Chilis are packed with vitamins A & B, and are also a good source of vitamin C. Parsley is a great source for flavonoid antioxidants, acts as a natural diuretic, has plenty of beneficial essential oils, and can help fight against kidney stones. Fresh mint doesn't only add a ton of flavor but is a calming herb that has been used for thousands of years to aid with upset stomach or indigestion, can prevent rhesperatory infections, treat asthma, prevent fatigue and memory loss and aids in weight loss.
Wild Striped Bass Veracruz: Low in calories but loaded with flavor, striped sea bass is an excellent source of protein, selenium and essential omega-3 fatty acids. This dish is served with rice, beans (high in antioxidants, fiber, protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and zinc), tomato & olive stew, radish salad.
The newest restaurant to take up a residence at the Royal Poinciana Plaza is the Palm Beach Grill sister restaurant, the Honor Bar. Though widely known for their crispy chicken sandwich, this American fare grill and bar also has plenty of healthier options to choose from. Here are a few we love.
Tuna Tartare: A lean Protein, tuna is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. Honor Bar serves this dish with sliced avocado, a healthy source of fat, and toasted ciabata, though we recommend leaving out.
House-Mase Hummus with Crudités: This is easily our favorite appetizer menu option. Honor Bar serves their hummus up thick and lean with a variety of healthy, crisp vegetables to snack on. The crudités includes celery (which is an excellent source of antioxidants and is loaded beneficial enzymes, vitamins and minerals), carrots (a high source of beta carotene), and squash (vitamins A, B6 C, and E).
Omlette with Spinache & Cheese: Who doesn't love breakfast for lunch or dinner? Fluffy scrambles eggs are a great source for high quality protein. Egg whites are also rich sources of selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper. This delicious omelette is also loaded with spinach, which is a natural diuretic that is also a great source of fiber, zinc, and vitamins.
The Macho Salad: Despite it's name, this salad will leave you feeling light and healthy afterwards! Our top choice on the Honor Bar menu, the Macho Salad is loaded with healthy foods. The roasted chicken is an excellent source of protein, cooked perfectly and mixed in. It also has avocado, which contains more potassium than bananas, toasted almonds (which are a great source of healthy fats, fiber, protein, magnesium and vitamin E), corn (a complex carbohydrate loaded with dietary fiber) and goats cheese.
The reason we go here is in the title: avocados are a superfood packed with tons nutritious benefits. They are loaded with vitamins B5, B6, C, E and K, potassium, folate, and heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids that are linked to the reduction of inflammation. With an array of healthy, yet delicious menu items, you will have no trouble sticking to your new years resolutions at this downtown West Palm Beach restaurant.
- Whole Avocado Vinaigrette: As we said above, avocados are a superfood. Health benefits include reduced cholesterol and triglyceride levels, cancer prevention, increased cardiovascular health, and weight loss, among others. At Avocado Grill, this dish is served with a sherry vinaigrette and Malden sea salt.
- Ceviche: A top choice for any dieter, ceviche is a lean source of protein loaded with health benefits. Also low in calories, and light in fare, you can't go wrong with this dish. Avocado Gril's ceviche includes snapper (rich in selenium, vitamin A, potassium and omega-3 fatty acids), mahi (a lean source of vitamin B and iron), calamari (full of vitamins, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, calcium and iron), bay scallops, red onion and ahi amarillo.
- Grilled Zucchini: Possibly one of our top vegetable choices period, zucchini is an amazing source of antioxidants and vitamin C. It is also a known anti-inflammatory, great source of potassium, and is low in calories and carbohydrates. Served with pickled red onions, hazelnuts, crumbled goats cheese, remosco sauce, we absolutely adore this dish at Avocado Grill.
- Chicken Paillard: What says diet friendly more than a flattened, light chicken breast in an olive oil lemon sauce? Avocado Grill's Chicken Paillard is served over a base of locally sourced arugula (a cancer preventing green that is loaded vitamins B, C and K, folate, potassium and minerals). It also has baby heirloom tomatoes (rich in vitamin A, B6, C, and K, and folate, and thiamin). artichokes (boast high levels of folate, dietary fiber, and vitamins C and K), red onion, and parmesan.
- Zaatar Grill Chicken Breast and Baby Kale: Loaded with cancer preventing blackberries, this dish is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, E and K, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc. Another superfood found in this dish are beets, which are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium. Cucumber is another major component, which helps to keep you hydrated and flushes out toxins.
Though Lynora's is a local favorite for pizza and pasta, their expansive menu also contains plenty of healthier options. From Octopus to fresh fish dishes, leafy greens and house-made cheeses, we're happy to say that it is possible to dine out Italiano and stay on diet too.
- Mista di Mare: A Mediterranean seafood lovers dream, this dish is loaded with lean seafood includin, calamari, scungilli, shrimp, scallops, celery, lemon, and extra virgin olive oil. Not only a ood source of protein this dish has a wealth of key vitamins and minerals.
- Insalata Rucola E Pera: Another healthy arugula-based salad dish we love, this salad option from Lynoras is loaded with healthy foods. Vitamin B rich endives provide a crunch alongside omega-3 essential fatty acids rich walnuts. The poached pears are full of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin C. Even the pomegranate vinaigrette on top boasts plenty of health benefits, including cancer preventing antioxidants, plenty of vitamins and helps with digestion and heart disease.
- Polpette De La Casa: If you're trying the Atkins diet, these meatballs probably made the list. Lynora's delicious house made meatballs are made with veal, beef, and pork, and are served with their classic marinara and house made ricotta. While this dish is not low calorie or on the lighter side, it is carbohydrate free and packs a ton of flavor!
- Red Snapper: Snapper is a delicious source of selenium, vitamin A, potassium and omega-3 fatty acids. Served with shrimp and rosemary, this dish boasts plenty of protein, antibacterial and antioxidant properties, essential oils and vitamins.