Empowering Women through the American Dream
Later this month, several Florida women will compete for American Dream crowns. The annual pageant aims to empower women of all ages to achieve their own personal goals and become leaders within their communities. Each contestant is challenged to develop their leadership skills by creating a personal platform. The pageant, which will take place June 22-24 in Disney Springs, will see 22 women from all over the state will compete for state and national titles.
Palm Beach County local, Cynthia Griner, is running for the Mrs. Elite National American Dream, inspired through her daughter Hope. Palm Beach Social Diary caught up with Cynthia to get the scoop on her ambitions, the pageant, her achievements, and more!
- How long have you lived in Palm Beach County? My husband Joe, myself and our 4 boys moved to Palm Beach in August of 2011.
- What’s your background? I was born in Waterbury, Connecticut. Though I was born a Yankee, my family moved to Charlotte when I was young, so really I grew up a Southern Belle. I studied jazz, tap, ballet and pointe growing up, and now have more than 30 years experience with modeling and acting.
- Tell us about your journey to your path to competing for the Mrs. Elite Sunshine State American Dream pageant! My journey to competing for Mrs. Elite American Dream began three years ago when my husband and I decided to try to add a little pink to our family of four boys. After three years of IVF treatments, we gave birth to Hope Rubye. She is a our miracle child! It's for her that I want to inspire and encourage other women to think about investing in the future of young women. Last November I was named the Mrs. Elite Sunshine State American Dream, and now I'm trying for the National title.
- Through this title, what do you do for our local community? I love volunteering and lending a helping hand to my community! Recently I volunteered with my youngest son for Feeding Children Everywhere event held at Palm Beach Day School, and the JLPB for their recent Day Of Giving Telethon that helps fund programs for the coming year. I plan to continue working with local charitable organizations, using the title for a good cause.
- What is your official title? Mrs. Elite Sunshine State American Dream. Not because I am "elite", but because of my age. I turned the big 50 last November!
- Define philanthropy. Philanthropy is a lifestyle where one can truly give of their time and heart to help others and all foundations.
- Who inspires you most? My 96-year-old Grandmother Irene Albert inspires me most because she realized and accepted with grace that her retirement years would be spent taking care of my Alzheimer's Afflicted Grandfather instead of traveling, and enduring the long goodbye to him.
- Favorite hang out spot in Palm Beach County? My favorite hang out spot in Palm Beach is enjoying a nice meal at Testas on the Island with my family. We also enjoy going to George Petty Park on Flagler for family playtime!
- What are you doing this weekend? This weekend I will be heading up to compete for Nationals!
- What you love most about Palm Beach. What I love most about living in Palm Beach is the palm trees that sway like ballerinas in the gentle breeze, and the many bodies of water around us, which are so therapeutic!
To learn more about the American Dream competition, visit www.americandreampageants.com.